Thursday, February 2, 2012

William S. Hart Museum & a Great Home Cleaning Solution

   I know, this is a strange combo, but I'm trying to get caught up & condense...During the winter break, we visited the William S. Hart museum in Santa Clarita (home of the Santa Claridiots, as my hub so fondly refers to them, sadly, an oft-earned title). ANYWAY, this place is a gem! The gift shop has some great items, and we found some awesome Christmas gifts (eg. an amazing array of handmade jewelry, some by Native Americans).
   William S. Hart was a movie star cowboy from the silent era, who began his career at the age of 47 or 48, which made me love him right off the bat. The fact that he adored all his animals, had huge great danes, & even let his horse saunter into the home, just seals it.
   The home, La Loma de los Vientos (Hill of the Winds) is an architectural gem, with a trove of western art (amazing collection of Remingtons & Russells). The quality of the construction is amazing. For example, the wood floor in the dining room is 2X4 ENDS (look like squares).  The architect had the floors flooded repeatedly, until the pieces were so tightly fitted, they did not require nails. It's kind of like a mini, western, Hearst castle in a sense.
   The docents are wonderful, & I'm sorry I forgot the name of the sweet young lady who was our tour guide. Tours are FREE, & given on the half hour. There is a petting zoo at the bottom of the hill, and some bison that can be viewed on the walk up to the home.
William S. Hart Museum
   Now, those who read my blog, know that last Friday, the monkey had a vomiting incident, and the stainproof mattress pad failed, resulting in a smelly, wet spot on the mattress. The only good thing, is it was just liquid, no pieces (sorry to be gross, but can you say, "Ewwww??").
   I am happy to report I was able to clean it! How? With a 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water solution. I tried to use a spray bottle, but of course that didn't work (why is it every spray bottle I purchase, fails?). So I sprinkled the solution liberally on the stain. Then, I used towels to blot with pressure (you are supposed to avoid wiping). Repeated the process, then sprinkled baking soda all over the area. Put a big towel on it, then a heavy plastic container to put pressure on the area & make the liquid absorb into the towel. After several hours, I removed the container & towel & let the mattress dry. I was leery of taking it out on the deck to dry, as I have watched too many episodes of "Infested" (plus hello, bird poop, anyone?). Monkey slept in the guest room the next night. Next afternoon, I vacuumed up the baking soda, and voila! Stain AND, most importantly, SMELL was gone! Those who know me well, know I have the nose of a bloodhound, so for me to say the smell was gone, means it was GONE!
  I am becoming a huge baking soda fan. The monkey's bathtub had a brown stain around and above the drain that even bleach couldn't erase. I applied a paste of peroxide & baking soda, and let it sit for several hours.The tub was restored to a bright white! Speaking of cleaning, I suppose I should tackle my neglected home, as well as the boxes of my teaching supplies I brought back home from my Gorman assignment (six boxes of books, alone!). Adieu for now, from Michi (aka 'Heloise').

No comments:

Post a Comment