Saturday, February 4, 2012

Finally, a Bike for Mommy!

  Wow, hopefully I correct all of the misspelled words (bad spellers of the world, untie!). I'm usually pretty good at spelling. This is a post from yesterday, but has a great, easy slaw recipe...
   My great friend, K. & I went on a thrift store jaunt yesterday, and boy, was it successful! I scored a GT mountain bike w/Shimano components for $69.99. I bought the monkey 6 pairs of jeans for about $24 (he's wearing one pair in the photo), plus two pairs of jeans, two pairs of shoes, & two coats for me! Woo hoo!

   The hub & I took the monkey to get a much-needed new bike from Walmart (he was beginning to look like a shriner on his old one. We went on our first bike ride down to the mailboxes today; this is us posing in the street in front of our property, ready to depart.

   Apparently, mommy isn't the only one who needs exercise; it was a little tough on the monkey, and we had to stop and walk a few sections. Monkey was very proud when we got home. It really isn't very far; maybe a mile at the most round-trip...I'll have to measure.

   This is mommy post-bike ride, showing off my $7.99 Guess jeans, and gorgeous $10 Wilson leather coat. It is much prettier in person. The coat is like brand-new, with really soft leather, and pretty white stitching.

   I'm hoping to lose 20 pounds this year, or at least reduce some inches. I will report on my progress, or lack thereof. Had I known my hysterectomy would hasten my weight gain, I think I would have not had it, & just put up with my medical problems. I like to eat too much, so any major dieting is out of the question. I'll let you know what impact the biking has.

   Tomorrow, we are having a small, impromptu Super Bowl get-together. We are going very casual, as I'm showing property tomorrow, & won't have a lot of time for prep. Hot dogs & burgers, but I have made a nice pasta salad, some yummy homemade chili, and a fantastic Thai-flavored slaw for the hot dogs.
   I'll post a photo of the slaw & chili tomorrow. I looked at some recipes online, then threw together my own version. I rarely measure, & did not today, so amounts are estimates. Here's the recipe:
Thai-Style Slaw
(can eat as a salad, or use as topping on hot dogs)
  • Fresh squeezed juice of 4 limes
  • Large heaping spoonful of peanut butter
  • Several generous squirts of Sriracha garlic chile sauce
  • 3 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp salt
  • dash of celery seed
  • 1/2 head cabbage, shredded slaw-size
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
  • Handful of fresh cilantro, then destemmed, & chopped finely
Whisk first six ingredients in a bowl. Add the herbs, cabbage and carrot, and toss. Let chill & soak in flavor. Yummy! Can adjust amounts of dressing ingredients as you see fit. If you try it, let me know how you like it!



1 comment:

  1. I see I have some German views: Wilkommen! Ich bin halb Deutsch, und Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch. Meine mutti war auß Japan, und mein vater war Deutsche-Amerikaner. Ich studierte im Heidelberg für fier monaten wenn ich war im universitad.

    ReplyDelete