Sunday, March 17, 2013

Wildflowers, a Scary Ride & Carrizo Plain

   I have been mesmerized this week by the wildflowers in Klipstein Canyon and on the 166 between Maricopa & Cerro Noroeste. The stunning display is a must-see, as my little camera does not do it justice, plus, I cannot snap pics of the pretty spots on the 166 (hard to drive & snap!).


This is just a sample, & again, there are colors you just can't see with my photos...
Yesterday morning, Kahlua and I took a lovely ride through Cuddy Valley (our favorite circle route).
It was a gorgeous morning...

 We love to visit Bonfield Farm...
My favorite subject: dilapidated buildings...
   A little while after I shot this photo was when Kahlua scared the daylights out of me. She suddenly went DOWN, & seemed to be struggling, so I hopped off (but held reins) & she got up. I walked her the rest of the way home. I don't think she tripped, she just went down. I'm calling our farrier, who is a wonderful wealth of info, but I think it was MY fault: I took her out on an empty stomach (she hadn't had her breakfast). I am hoping I am right. I'm going to take her on a short ride later today, but I'm pretty sure that was it. She didn't limp at all, no injuries. I think she may have briefly fainted. Will update...



Later, I took the hub & monkey through Klipstein Canyon. Again, the photos don't do it justice! There are lupines, and a ton of gorgeous flowers. Especially on the 166...

   Then, we took an adventurous drive through the Carrizo Plain Nat'l Monument (a 250,000 acre preserve). Sadly, no wildflowers this year, and Soda Lake never really had any measurable water, but a neat visit nonetheless. We saw some amazing rough legged hawks (no pics)...



   This is Soda Lake, looking toward the mountains we live in...
The hub finally snapped a photo that didn't make me look like a complete 'be-she-moth.' Look how tall the monkey is getting!

   The only water we found was outside the park and lake, and sadly full of litter...

1 comment: