Sunday, September 12, 2010

Shelter on the Hill Wine/Cheese Fundraiser

     Now on to more FUN aspects of living here...told you this week was a rollercoaster (forgot to mention the monkey got a spot at the charter school in PMC, & starts tomorrow!). This year's fundraiser was awesome on many levels.
     Firstly, the location was spectacular: in the vineyards at Tejon Ranch. They do not sell their wine, it is only used for marketing purposes & gifts. Views of Castac (not to be confused with 'Castaic') Lake...really lovely.
     The wines were pretty darn good overall. My favorite was a Paso Robles rosé (of course Paso). The Tejon Ranch cab was also excellent. Cheeses also tasty...mmmmmm, cheese!
     The auction items were impressive, as well. Some items were part of a silent auction, others live. I especially loved the gorgeous horse/heart quilt, the watercolor painting lessons from Susan Sjoberg (one of our talented area artists) & I also bid on a wine-themed basket that contained a bottle of that rosé. My absolute favorite item was a painting that the artist (not sure of her name, but will find out) painted during the event (see the photo above with the small painting of vineyards, gold hills & blue sky; that is it). I am happy to say, my friend won the auction for that item! We weren't present for the live auction, & I sadly lost my silent auction attempts.
Lovely Dawn Beban, of Mountain SPCA presented Shelter on the Hill with a check for $500. This was a wonderful gesture, as there has been some division between the two organizations. MSPCA has an active network of foster families rescuing animals. Hope this is just the first step in a bridging of the two....
     After the event, it was dog party night at our house! Kosmo & Kramer were able to romp, my faithful lab Rio had fun with the little dogs. We feasted on a variety of appetizers, inc. my friend L.'s yummy spinach/artichoke dip. Drank some awesome wines, inc. two sparkling Laetita's & two great Opolo blends & a Kenneth Volk syrah my friends brought (will review in a later post). Then it was on to a hot dog/bratwurst multi-topping extravaganza, courtesy of Kramer's parents! Red velvet cake for dessert (a la Costco, as no time for me to bake), & since it was cold enough to light a fire in the fp, s'mores for the kids...Yum!I'm thinking homemade pizza f/our next get-together....next Sat. is jam-packed with activities from morning to evening, but may still be able to swing it. May cheat on the dough this time (I usually make my own)...

No comments:

Post a Comment