Speaking of dinner, my friend brought a wonderful salad with avocado, red onion, and these yummy mini pumpkin seeds from Fresh N Easy. I made my special spicy chicken in a cilantro cream sauce over pasta (prefer to use red pepper rotelli, but used plain 'wagon wheel'). Garlic bread & berry pie for dessert...yum yum.
SPICY CHICKEN in CILANTRO CREAM SAUCE:
(sorry, I rarely measure)
- First, you need to make or have some roasted chili paste. I use the dried skinny red chilis, you cook them in hot oil until almost black. Remove, put in blender with some garlic, a pinch of salt, some cumin, a little water & blend. Good to use in spicy soups, etc.
- Chop up some boneless chicken (I used about 4 large breasts), saute in olive oil, garlic & chili paste to taste, set aside.
- Put a large washed amt. of fresh cilantro in blender. Blend w/container of heavy cream. Can also substitute/add milk. Set aside.
- Boil your water, be ready to cook your pasta.
- Prepare your roux ( your thickening agent; good scrabble word): Melt butter in pan, then cook some flour in it until thick & pasty.
- Slowly add the cilantro cream to roux, so you will have a nice thick sauce, rather than runny. If you do it too quickly, your sauce will be runny. Once sauce is ready, add chicken & keep stirring. Can add more milk/cream. A pinch of sea salt is good, too. I tend to avoid using salt in my cooking, because I LOVE salt too much...
- Pasta should be ready & drained. Serve the pasta with the chicken cilantro sauce & enjoy!