Sunday, January 6, 2013

Havarti Fontina Mac & Cheese w/Mushrooms

   So, I made my own version of mac & cheese after being inspired by the wonderful dish we had at the Brimstone in the Padre Hotel. I used rather large pasta (farfalle); I'd recommend something much smaller, but it was still yummy! We were supposed to have elk steaks, but I accidentally defrosted beef. Still was yummy!

Fontina Havarti Mac & Cheese with Mushrooms
Roughly grate about 3/4 lb. of havarti, and about 1/4 lb. of Fontina cheeses.
Dice 1/2 an onion. Saute in about 1/3 stick of butter, until soft. Add 4 tbs. of flour to form a nice roux. Then slowly add 4 cups of warm milk (you are basically making a bechamel sauce). Then, add thyme, salt & nutmeg to taste & simmer about 15 min. Chop/saute 1 pkg. of mushrooms, & cook 1 lb. of pasta al dente. Butter a baking dish. Layer in 1/3s: Pasta, cheese, mushrooms, sauce. Bake 15 min. at 350 degrees. YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment